Friday, 17 January 2014

Festive frock



Ok, I'm a bit late with this post about a dress I made in November to wear to my Christmas functions.  This is one of those dresses that you buy the fabric for one day, cut it out that night, sew it the next day and wear it to a Christmas party the next, all while casually ignoring your family.  You do it too, right?  When I went into The Fabric Shop to grab some fabric for the dress the only thing I was thinking was "just not floral".  Fail!  I'm working on the floral addiction...

Pattern: burdastyle 9/2012 #109
Fabric: floral cotton and rayon lining from The Fabric Store
Alterations: shortened the sleeves, took in the side seams under the sleeves, and the sleeves a little

Speaking of sleeves, can someone tell me if it is a feature of a shift dress with sleeves to become extremely short when you raise your arms?  Or have I just not fit the dress correctly?

16 comments:

  1. Wow such great use of that amazing fabric. Love the shape of the dress too, seems to be lots of these cute short sleeve shifty sort of dresses around lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am I accidentally on trend?

      Delete
  2. "Wow" is totally the right word for it! I love this fabric. And a very cute dress too. Sometimes the most beautiful fabrics work best with simple styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I agree. The style had to be kept simple.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous Rosi! I don't think it is a fitting issue regarding your sleeves, I just think it is just raising your arms pulls the dress up. Pretty unavoidable I think (unless you make it longer but then it would be too long most of the time)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No waving my arms around on the dancefloor in this dress I guess!

      Delete
  4. You just chose the right, simple pattern to showcase that beautiful fabric. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely...and look at that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect pattern for a border print fabric like this, the colours are just beautiful. Also perfect for Christmas because you can eat as much as you like.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, the real reason why I chose that style.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful feminine dress and what's wrong with a floral fabric addiction? Suits you well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a floral fabric addiction. However, I do have a lot of floral/patterned separates that would get much more wear if I balanced my wardrobe out with a few more solids.

      Delete
  8. Such a pretty dress, lovely floral with ombre effect. The dress is a very wearable style, classic. You look great in it :)

    ReplyDelete