Sunday, 22 September 2013

Briar dress

  I read somewhere about play clothes for mums and decided that I should have a playdress.
The hi-lo hemline of the Briar is its most distinguishing feature and obviously I did away with it for this dress.  I quite like the result, probably more than the Briar tops I made.  It was quite easy to convert the pattern to a dress.  There is a very slight flare from the waist and if this line is extended to dress length it creates a slight A line dress.  Simples.
Alterations: hem lengthened to dress length, pocket enlarged and lowered x2
Fabric: poly cotton knit
I would have liked to make this dress in a knit that had a spandex component to make it more stretchy for the yogic style bending, rolling, kicking, nursing, feeding that comes with mothering. I used a twin needle for all the top stitching and I must confess we are not really friends.  I'm more tempted to use a zigzag stitch.  But now that a bit of time has passed and I like the look of the pocket below, perhaps I will give the twin needle thing another chance.
The next time I wore this dress after photographing it, it may have been swiped across the front with a white gloss enamel coated paintbrush which may have been discovered by an unsupervised toddler who may have painted his hair with same gloss enamel.  Oh well play clothes....

4 comments:

  1. Lovely dress, exactly the sort of clothes you want to wear when you're around kids... You're a yummy mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great dress! It looks comfortable and so pretty. I love stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the idea of play clothes. Anything good gets destroyed. This dress is seriously cute and looks mighty practical too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Kids have a way of ruining nearly everything don't they? Such a cute dress though, I reckon you should wear it and claim it is artistic embellishment!

    ReplyDelete