Tuesday, 9 July 2013

Briar


Sometimes I find it difficult to buy a pattern that looks really basic.  I find myself drawn to the complicated dresses of say Vogue (like this one).  But a couple of megan neilsens later, I will definitely be purchasing more basics.  I ummed and ahhed about the Briar pattern for a while, but when Megan anounced the Briar sewalong in February, (yeah I know it's July) I was convinced to purchase.  While I haven't worn a midriff since the early '90s (usually a neon surf brand) the hi lo hemline appealed to me because I thought it looked like a good nursing top to layer over other tops.  Actually, I thought the hi hem at the front might look cool over a pregnant belly.  It didn't.

My stash is devoid of any knits, so I was required to purchase fabric for this and I chose a bamboo spandex blend, which feels lovely.  Unfortunately, I was a little slow on the fabric purchasing and couldn't keep up with Megan's sewalong, but it is a quick one to make it was pretty easy to flick through her posts.  I did learn a few tricks from her blog though, particularly the curved little pocket, hemmimg by ironing up first (I never used to do that) and her way of binding the neckband so the stitching is hidden.  Ahh the neckband.  I realised after I overlocked the neckband in that I did it on the wrong bloody side!  Sigh.  I considered just leaving it but as the bound neckline allows wider fabric width it just looked wrong.  So, what could have been a quick make ended up including about 30 minutes or more of unpicking 4 threads of overlocking.  The pain!  But as per usual, it is always worth fixing a mistake you know will annoy you everytime you put it on.
Pattern: Megan Nielsen Briar
Fabric: grey bamboo spandex from SewCo Mt Gravatt.  $39/m ouch.
Alterations: none
Here's a Black Briar made from some merino bought last year from The Fabric Store, Brisbane, which I found after I bought the bamboo doh.  You can obviously see it is the longer version.  This is the kind of pattern you can whip up.  I wish I could say I whipped it up.  But with two little boys around there is not much whipping up of anything.  No, none of the mother hubbard style whipping either.  Maybe whipped cream. 
I'm not sure about the hi-lo hemline on this Black Briar, it looks kind of weird in this photo.  However, I do like the rest of the pattern particularly the neckline.  It's kind of a V but without the pesky dart at the centre front.  Now if you'll excuse me, after saying Black Briar so much I feel like watching some Jason Bourne.

9 comments:

  1. They look like great basic tops - love the Jason Bourne reference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grey version is my favourite, nice styling with the layering/colour combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely! I personally prefer the black version. Good job. Completely understand the two boy situation. Crazy times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both look great and completely different. I really like the grey one over the flower top - looks so cute and the black one looks like a hi-lo jumper. Wow that bamboo was SO expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are both really cute and will be great basics to pop on. They both look just perfect for layering :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute tops.Look like a much more interesting version of a basic with the changing hem line. Love the layering in version 1.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! Really love the grey with the floral .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the grey one, definitely looks like it works well as a nursing cover up too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice! I bought the Briar thinking the short version it would be good layering for nursing too! And I love her patterns! Still haven't made one though, but I have some awesome knits heading my way so I think I shall when they arrive!

    ReplyDelete