Monday, 15 July 2013

basil

Once upon a time, there lived a cloth rabbit called Dude Bunny.  One day he met Princess Bunny.
And togther they bred like .. well .. rabbits.
And so it seems is half of Brisbane because all of these are gifts and they don't even cover all the babies I know who have entered the world this year!  You may remember me moaning about the time it takes to make a teddy bear (see this post) so this cute little bunny is a great alternative as it comes together much more quickly and requires much less stuffing - the part I dislike the most. There is only two pieces for the head/body as opposed to eight in the teddy bear pattern.

A thoughtful friend gave me the 'hop skip jump' pattern book as a birthday gift and this is the 'basil' rabbit pattern.  All the toys in the book have a vintage look about them which when paired with patchwork fabric look really cute.  This pattern is awesome for using up scrap fabric which I used for Dude Bunny.  Having said that I did buy the fabric for the girly bunnies.  50cm of four different fabrics and I cut out 8 bunnies.  Made only 5, but that was enough of a mission.  I reckon I'll use the leftover 3 before the year is out!  I stuffed them with soundproofing picked up for free from a worksite by Dad.  It to be used in a small renovation in our house but we ended up not using it.  My brother suggested using it to stuff teddies because it is actually polyester fibre not too different to the somewhat pricey stuff at the store. How's that for recycling?  I have plans for making up some pillows with it too, as apparently it tears easily along the horizontal plain (a fact I did not discover until after I cut it up in small pieces to stuff all those above bunnies dammit).  
I also purchased a doll making needle which is long enough to go straight through the body to sew the arms on.  I'm not sure how sturdy the stitching is to stand up to rough play but I'm sure I will receive the bunnies back for surgery should they need it.  The legs are stitched into the lower seam on the body.
The instructions in the book are easy to follow - well when I looked at them anyway.  I only really read them for inserting the ears into the dart and how to make a pom pom by wrapping wool around two fingers.  Again, not sure how those tails will last with rough play.  There are quite a few cute patterns I'd like to make from the book, particulary a fox, but my toddler seems completely disinterested in stuffed toys.  I'm not sure if my baby will be the same but judging by the way he stares in awe at his big bro, I'd say there's a fair chance.  Which means I have to make them as gifts.  Note to self: stop making gifts, Rosi, you don't have time.  One mummy on receiving the gift asked if I'd considered a business venture making toys and or clothes (yes, an obvious compliment as opposed to the comment we discussed in a previous post).  Have you had friends suggest the same?  Personally, I think turning a hobby I love into paid employment would ruin the enjoyment.  I'll just keep sewing the stuff I want to sew without obligation - like cute bunnies for cute babies. 

15 comments:

  1. So cute, especially love the last pic! I did turn my hobby into a business after receiving similar comments. 3years on and still love it, but it certainly has it's challenges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy that it hasn't ruined the fun. Perhaps one day I may venture there - if I could make it financially viable! Also, the craft/sewing blogoshpere would be quite boring without those who turned their hobby into a business. Well done Dottie.

      Delete
  2. very cute cloth rabbits, I must chase a copy of the book to make some of my own !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth the investment if you like making toys.

      Delete
  3. SOOO cute... and the bunnies! How do you have time.... well done yourself! I love the vintage look of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have much time to sew! Occasionally I'll spend an evening cutting out the fabric but sewing usually doesn't happen until weekends when the kids can play with their daddy. Actually with these bunnies I roped hubby into helping stuff them :)

      Delete
  4. Gah! Those cheeks are just adorable! Love the bunnies - the fabric is just perfect. And yeah, I've had family say I should sew things to sell but there is alot of extra work on top of that and for me, it would take the enjoyment out of sewing. I like sewing different things, in my own time and with no pressure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea about business-y stuff so I think that side would make it quite difficult. But props to those who do!

      Delete
  5. They are so cute and so is your little man! I love the fabrics, you certainly have an eye for pick really lovely prints and patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brooke. I find patchwork fabric have lovely prints.

      Delete
  6. So adorable those bunnies and look at the little baba...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet, I love the how you've included the names in little hearts. Very lucky friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like giving one-of-a-kind gifts.

      Delete
  8. These are gorgeous and so awesome they are easier to make. I just love the last picture it's just adorable. What a cutie patoodie!!! xx

    ReplyDelete