Thursday, 24 January 2013

Sharing the love

Thank you Erin from i heart fabric for nominating me for the Liebster Award.  It is quite encouraging to be nominated for this.


 
The Rules:

  • Post 11 facts about yourself
  • Answer the 11 questions posed by your nominator
  • Nominate up to 5 other blogs, with less than 200 followers, and ask them 11 questions of your own
I would like to nominate the following bloggers:
  • Pauline from Dessine-moi un bouton because she makes the most beautiful frocks and always looks so happy wearing them.
  • Natty from Natty's buttons and ribbons because she makes the prettiest things and was one of my first followers.
  • Bernice from Raindrops & Belly flops because I love her summery creations sewn for tropical Qld conditions.
  • Robyn from Sew Love Red because of the funky clothes especially tops she makes.
  • Sew Brunswick for her great everyday wardrobe creations that I always want to copy and her boys clothes.

11 Questions - I am mostly recycling Erin's questions
  1. When did you start sewing and what introduced you to sewing?
  2. What other crafts do you do?
  3. What do you look for in a sewing blog?
  4. Who is your inspiration?
  5. Do you have a bizarre talent?
  6. What's your favourite thing to sew or create for yourself or others?
  7. What have you always wanted to sew but haven't yet, and why?
  8. What your favourite thing you've ever made?
  9. What's something you like to treat yourself with?
  10. What was one of your favourite things growing up?
  11. Where would you most want to travel in the world and why?
It's all about me....
11 questions
  1. When did you start sewing and what introduced you to sewing?  My nanna sewed, my mother sews, my aunty sews and my sisters sew.  It was only natural for me to learn.  My nanna, mother and aunty all did it out of necessity.  That's all they could afford.  For my sisters and me I guess it is a choice.  I remember trying the sewing machine when I was six years old and the needle broke.  I cried because I though I had broken the whole machine!  Some of the first things I made were dancing costumes when I was about 13yo.  This was good because often you couldn't see mistakes on stage and there was nothing a safety pin couldn't diguise.  In high school I started sewing because I didn't have any disposable income to spend on clothes and thought making things from my mothers stash was a good way to go.  I made a lot of crap then - but it was all learning.  I gave up sewing for a while because med school and then residency did not allow much time for it.  Now I like to sew because it's a great creative outlet, I get unique and original garments that are me-size and I enjoy doing it for my family.
  2. What other crafts do you do?  Painting and drawing.  Which I have neglected a bit. I used to scrapbook but I prefer online photobooks now.
  3. What do you look for in a sewing blog?  I love seeing completed projects because they are on real people, not models, and mostly not styled like a fashion shoot (well some bloggers are quite good in the photo dept).  I especially like if it is a pattern because then I can copy the look more easily than if it is self drafted.  I have to say I don't read any knitting or cooking posts because I can't knit and although I cook, I'm not especially passionate about it.  I don't mind the odd reflective post and Sarai from Coletterie always has some thought provoking posts.
  4. Who is your inspiration?  In general, people who are positive and confidently lead their life exactly the way they want.  For sewing inspiration, other sewing bloggers.  For professional inspiration, my work collegues. 
  5. Do you have a bizarre talent?  Maybe not so bizarre but I love surfing.  In fact, one of the first 'dates' I had with my husband was on surfboards.
  6. What's your favourite thing to sew or create for yourself or others?  Gosh, I don't think I could pick a favourite!  Not couch slip covers.
  7. What have you always wanted to sew but haven't yet, and why?  A slip cover for my couch.  I actually don't want to sew it.  I just want a slip cover.  I bought 5m of the same fabric my couch was covered in when I bought it about 2 years ago.  The couch is about 2.8m long so it's a huge job.  I think the size is stopping me, but it is white, and I have a son, and another baby on the way.  I just have to do it!  I think I'm supposed to answer a couture gown here. 
  8. Do you have an phobias?  Toads.  I know, totally irrational but isn't that the definition of a phobia!?
  9. What's something you like to treat yourself with?  At this point in my life it is a yoga class once a week.
  10. What was one of your favourite things growing up?  Big family get togethers.  I was one of four kids and we had fourteen cousins.
  11. Where would you most want to travel in the world and why?  Japan.  I studied the language at school and still have yet to travel there, despite going to many other countries in the world.  We were supposed to go in 2011 en route to Finland but changed our plans because of the tsunami.  My husband lived there for a few years so I think a trip there would be quite a lovely cultural experience as he has a few friends there still.  And I would love to snowboard there!
11 facts
  1. I'm 33yo.
  2. I'm Brisbane born and bred and still here.
  3. But I'd like to live at the beach.
  4. I am married with one child and one on the way.
  5. I'd like to think I'm a feminist, despite my love of nanna crafts.
  6. I'd like to think I'm a greenie tree hugger, but my carbon footprint is probably higher than I think.  I was on the news as a teenager protesting nuclear testing in the Pacific!
  7. Our family likes to travel.  My son had been on 10 flights by 10 months old.  My husband and I backpacked around Europe, Scandinavia and Africa before we had our son.  This is about to grind to a halt.
  8. I love chocolate ice cream and nectarines.
  9. I fund my fabric habit by working part time as a GP.
  10. I don't like telling people I'm a doctor.  I feel pigeonholed.
  11. I'm quite reserved in real life, so putting all these facts on the net feels a little bit weird.




9 comments:

  1. As soon as I saw GP, I went ah ha, it fits perfectly! You certainly don't look 33. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fits in a good way I hope Kat!

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed! I have to say I love love my GP, takes her time and cares. I'll follow her anywhere. :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks Rosi for the award. I didn't realise you lived in Brisbane. For some reason I was under the impression you lived in Sydney. For the record, I don't like telling people I'm a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and it's nothing against the professions, I guess there is just more to a person than what they do as a job.

      Delete
  3. I liked readng those 11 facts about yourself, very interesting... but I just have to add; I believe a love of nanna crafts is not mutually exclusive to being a feminist, but is an endorsement; since you are living the truth that traditionally feminine pursuits are valid and are not secondary nor inferior to traditionally masculine interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah great point Carolyn! I hope I didn't offensive you, or any other seamstresses, by saying that.

      Delete
  4. I loved your facts about you. I also consider myself a feminist but love nanna crafts. I have three very close girlfriends who are doctors and when (years ago) we went out to parties they all had a variety of alter egos - one was a sandwich shop girl, flight attendant etc simply because of the "oh you're a doctor - I've got this....". I too have backpacked through many places in the world (alas not Japan also) and love living in Brisbane. I too marched against uranium mining but much earlier than you as I am nearly 51! I looked so young when I was 17 that the kindly police man told me in a very fatherly way to go home before it got rough! Your nappies are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved these facts they were great. I totally understand the toads phobia they are pretty feral!! So cool you can surf! I usually fall flat on my face or get dragged under haha.
    We booked to go to Japan about 6 weeks after the tsunami so had to cancel as well but we were able to reschedule 6 months later. Was a great trip and would be excellent if your partner had lived there. They have really great fabric shops too, I would book to go there again just for that!! hehe.

    ReplyDelete